Re: double roller timing chain

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 17:51:02 EST

At 01:10 AM 2/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>I just got my Mopar Performance double roller timing chain today in the
>mail. Pretty nice looking piece, my only question is there are 3 key slots
>on the crank sprocket, are these for adjusting the cam advance/retard?
>Just wondering cause I also bought the cam keys for that reason.
>
>Clay

Yes, center should be 0 degrees/straight up, and the other two will be
either 2 or 4 degrees advanced or retard. Check the instructions to see if
it's 2 or 4 degrees. Advancing the cam timing will lower your powerband,
retarding will raise it. Two degrees advance will lower the cam power band
by ~500 RPMs. so if the cam manufacturer said the cam will make power from
2K to 6K RPMs, advancing it will make it ~1.5K to ~5.5K rpms. Advancing
the cam will also lower the lobe separation angle, making a little more
power, but also tends to confuse the computer when you go below 112 lobe
center. Without doing the math, if you advance the cam 2 degrees, your
lobe separation will lower by 2.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net