RE: Condensation in Oil filler tube update (4.7L) long

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 20:54:57 EST

   What needs to be realized here is that ALL internal combustion engines are
constantly pulling air into the crankcase and
then at times expelling it. The PCV valve became prevalent in the sixties to
help keep the engine bays clean as without one
(or if yours gets clogged) then when the crankcase is 'expelling' air it is
full of oil vapour and quickly grimes up your valve
covers etc. Now, since all internal combustion engines must breathe, if the
ambient humidity is very high, the engine will be
pulling in moisture constantly. This 'humidity' combines with the oil and it
WILL collect on cold portions of the engine internals
as a milky ugly ooze. I grew up in Virginia, spent 15 years in Kansas City and
EVERY vehicle I've owned exibited these
properties during cool damp weather. Now, as the engine warms up most of this
ooze gets absorbed and the moisure gets
'burned off' or heated out of suspension with the oil.
     You can perform your own test and see it for yourself (if you live where
it's cold and/or humid). This test can rarely be performed
where I live now (Phoenix Az, never cold and very low humidity). Next time
it's raining and about 40 out, go drive about 5 miles or so.
No more. Then pull your oil filler cap. Batcha a brewski there will be
dynosaur snot startin to form on the inside. Drive another half
 hour and chances are it'll be gone. This is true of 3.9's, 5.2's, 5.9's,
4.7's, 2.2's , lawnmowers, garden tractors, you name it.
    Now I think (and I know... it usually only gets me in trouble..) the
reason that it seems to be a problem more-so with the 4.7 is that
it has a tall filler neck mounted right on the front of the engine in the
cold-air path. Being raised so high from the engine block it
doesn't get much of a chance to heat up and therefore doesn't 'burn off' the
dyno-snot. Here in sunny AZ mine has not developed
any goo yet (2800 miles). I'd be willing to bet if I were still in KC that
stuff would have showed up a time or two on me by now.
    Do I think this is a problem? Sure, if it collects in the neck and doesn't
go anywhere. I think Ma Mopar should design a 'shorty'
oil filler neck for people in the northern 2/3s of the country where this is
an issue. I do however have to side with Ma Mopar that it
is not 'damaging' to the engine in any way as all engines develop that stuff.
It's just that most engines don't have a ready made
'collector' of the dyno snot where it doesn't burn off and provides such easy
viewing for the owner
 Just my .02 worth.