Re: Dak Newbie: The Summer of Love Tour! Part 3 of the ongoing saga !

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 17:40:47 EST

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Stockham, John C wrote:

> Okay. Two fuel modules and two AIS motors later, my reluctant starting
> problems continue. Does anyone have a Haynes or Chilton manual out there
> for the 98 Dak Sport Reg cab man trans 3.9L engine? If so could you list
> the out the fuel delivery system? Starting from the tank. Right now I'm
> under the assumption (Which of course makes and ass out of U and Mption.
> Chuckle.) that the fuel goes in the tank, gets sucked up by and has it's
> pressure regulated by the fuel module, travels through the fuel line to the
> injector assembly to the actual injectors? Right? Is there a pressure
> regulator anywhere else? Or any other module with a check valve that could
> be failing? I find it hard to believe that two different fuel modules/fuel
> pumps could fail twice in a row. Sunflower Dogde in Kansas still can't fix
> the problem. I'm giving them till Monday to fix it or I'm returning the
> truck. Which is sad because for the money, I don't know what other vehicle
> I would be satisfied with. And since I've purchased the truck, I've done a
> lot of research and there seems to be a lot of negative vibe out there on
> the reliability of these trucks. Sigh. Very depressed right now.

    Yep, to the best of my knowledge, the fuel flow is as you described.
Do you have a fuel pressure guage? When I was having stalling and
failure to start problems with my '96, a Dodge dealer thought it was the
fuel module and replaced it. The problem was actually a loose connection
in the wiring harness. Anyway, during the course of trying to diagnose my
problem, I installed a fuel pressure gauge in my truck. It sounds to me
like the problem probably isn't the fuel module in your case, but being
able to monitor a fuel pressure gauge is helpful. (When my truck died
with full pressure at the fuel rail, I knew darn well it wasn't the
pump.) Anyway, maybe you don't want to bother with it, but if so, its
only about $40 and pretty easy to install. (I used an Intellitronix
digital fuel pressure gauge; that way the only thing you have to run
inside the cab are electrical wires.)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'