Tranny HARD Shifting?

From: Fender (fender@webtv.net)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 19:54:13 EST

Hi Gang~
I'm just a little nervous here,
I have a Y2K Dakota
4.7 V8 automatic 4x4 with 850 miles on it.
I was wondering if it's normal to get a hard shift when it goes into
third?
It doesn't do it all the time, it will do it on a level road, up a
incline, but like I said previously it won't do it all the time,
somebody at where I work said the automatic has some kind of
electronically speed sensor in it, and that might be causing the hard
shift, shimmy like feeling.

Ok plus sometimes I get a clunk like noise in it too, like a back lash
when going slow threw traffic, I don't know where it's coming from, the
drive shaft or transfer case or what, I did reach under the truck and
grab the drive shaft and see if theres was any kind of movement, but
there wasn't any.
maybe it's the rear end where the backlash & (Noise) is coming from.
is this normal?
any ideas guy's?
or should I just take the Dakota back to the dealer and have them look
at it.

Thanks in advance,
Rick.....