Crossing over to the dark side

From: durling@attglobal.net
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 00:52:15 EST

Well I thought I would share something I am looking into doing. I had my
truck at the local dealer today and driving through the parking lot I
see 2 used r/t's. I figure these are probably buy-backs or leases but
didn't give them much more thought. Tonight I had to run with the misses
to the grocery store and decided that afterwards i'm going across the
street to look at the trucks again. I decided that I like the solar
yellow one and it has a respectable 17k on the odometer. I start talking
to the sales man who tells me that the truck has been sitting on the lot
for almost three months and that they really want to unload it so he
tells me to offer 3k lees than what they want. Unfourtunatly he has to
get the manager to do the inquires into the truck and the guy tells me
that I have to come up with 4k in order to buy it or they cannot work
out any financing on it. Realize they havn't seen my truck since we
drove the wifes car there. After the jackass leaves the salesman tells
me to call him tomorrow and he will tell me exactly what they are asking
and what he thinks they will take. This may be a setup but I don't think
so but will be careful anyways. I looked through the truck and checked
the glove box for the options so I could check out the value from the
Kelly Blue Book site and the retail is around $17,300 and the trade in
value is around 13,500. I check mine and see that the trade in is $6,500
and the retail is close to 10,500. I figure if I dicker the price down
buy just a thousand and tell them they have to pay off my truck ($9,500)
i'll take it. If they won't pay off the truck then I will dicker the
price of the truck lower to make up for the difference being added into
the payments. I'm not sure this can work but I just want the payments to
stay close to what they are now. If I can do this I might be the proud
owner of a solar yellow r/t regular cab with all of the goodies except
the compass (who cares). If it doesn't I don't really mind since I like
my truck alot and will just keep enjoying it. I beliee this puts me in a
good position to dicker since it doesn't bother me one way or the other.
The only reason I would like the truck isi for the extra goodies that I
am looking at putting in my truck anyway. Wish me luck!

Jeff Durling
'96 RC Sport - 318