RE: AH! school bites. I need help on the "70s"

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 01:05:08 EST

> > That's where i learned to do my first burnouts. :)
> > Of course, there wasn't any smoke, but it didn't matter back then.
> > My neighbour had a green machine, it was cool looking but i
> > always beat him when we raced. :)
>
> Anyone remember the Raleigh "Chopper" bicycle?? The one that
> had the wide
> tire in the back and the small tire up front... "Borrowed"
> some of the old
> man's steel tubing and extended the forks out about 2 feet..
>
> Greg
> 95 DSCC v6 5spd
> Rahway NJ
> >>

> How about the Schwinns, Apple Crate, Lemon Crate, Orange
> Crate, Pea Picker, Cotton Picker. They were a 5 speed with a drum brake
springer
> front end and rear spring loaded shocks on the Bannana seat. I had a
Cotton
> Picker and that was 1 of the most fun bike I ever had the pleasure of
owning
> or riding. (The name denotes the color scheme of the bike Re; Apple Crate
was
> a gorgeous Red)
>
> MrDakota95

FOrgot all about those... Never had one.. The Chopper was a cool ride, but
with the extended forks was a bear to turn..added a set of "ape hangers" to
complete the ride.... Then when I turned 18 I got my real chopper.. 32 H-D
Flathead rigid with the springer forks. Granted it was a "rat bike" but it
did make 2 trips to sunny California and a trip to Sturgis and several trips
to Daytona.. Down the street I have Liberty HD. Was in there a couple of
weekends ago looking at a cherry XR-1000. The sales dweeb starts to try to
sell me on one of their new Evo's. Told the dweeb I didn't want a ricer. He
called me a f*cking purist! Lucky for the dweeb one of the owners stepped in
and promptly directed the dweeb to go sweep the shop before he was up to his
neck in floor. But yeah I miss those days of taking your bike up to the top
of the highest hill in the neighborhood just to get the speedo to pin at
60.. Whadda rush!

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ