3.92 gears required with 5speed manual tranny and 4.7v8?????

From: dugan (dugan@iland.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 14:52:22 EST

Ok, I have heard several people say that Dodge wont let you order a new
dakota with the 4.7L v8 and 5 speed manual transmission without getting 3.92
gears. Somthing about the 3.55 gears burning up the clutch or somthing??
Anyhow I would like to know if this is true. I ordered my Dakota 5 weeks
ago and I didnt realy say what gears I wanted.... I think he put down 3.55
gears on the order form.. but I dont really know if they are making it that
way or not. I do know that 3.92 gears were an option you could pick and
costed like $40 extra. Anyone else here order a dakota to these specs? If
so what gears did you get on it and did your dealer say anything about 3.92
being required? Now im not sure what gears I will be getting on my dakota
when it gets here. Does anyone know if this is true and if dodge will only
make them with 3.92 gears if you get the v8 and manual tranny??? Thanks.

-TomDugan-
dugan@iland.net