electric fan thermostat activation problem

From: Pedro J. Diaz (pjdmd@mho.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 18:01:27 EST

having probs with the Perma-Cool 170 degree thermostat. I've checked
all connections, and the fan works. The t-stat just won't activate the
fan at all, even when the engine is up to 200 degrees. I heated the
t-stat with a candle and it works, because it activated the fan. So the
problem is that it is just not heating up enough from the contact with
the upper radiator hose. I installed it closer to the engine thermostat,
and still didn't work. I even used open wires to make sure I was
getting a good connection. and yes, I know which end is the side that
heats up, and I checked ad nauseum to make sure it is flush with the
hose.

Any ideas?

pedro