Re: Distributor cap question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 13:12:33 EST

> I just changed my distributor and rotor out, but I'm not sure if I
> needed to or not. In my book, when in doubt -- replace it!
> My cap had what looked to be a substantial amount of carbon built up
> on the inside contacts. Rotor had some dust like residue on it but
> looked ok, replaced it anyway. So does this sound like normal wear?
> Was it time to replace it or could I have gotten by with just cleaning
> the contacts. Thanks.

I used to change mine every 25,000 miles. Now with my full aftermarket
ignition, the cap/rotor life is reduced to 10,000 miles, a small price to
pay for the nice gains with the ignition system. For $12 and 10 minutes of
work, it is cheap insurance for a good running Dak. Take a look at Bernds
website....if your cap looks like the one there, it needs replacement. Mine
looks just like that every 10,000 miles now.
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/DakMSD.htm
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6