RE: Rotor questions...

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 13:47:32 EST

Pepboys for 5.00 per rotor.

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD,MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, US Marine Corps
mailto:stlaurents@mctssa.usmc.mil (work)
mailto:Saint1958@home.com (home)
Office: (760) 725-2296

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle Kozubal [mailto:grndak4x4@home.com]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2000 9:45 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: Rotor questions...

> Good question. Here's my experience: Brake shops say
> yes, then need a 'light' turning'.. and charge you
> another $15 per disc labor. Whereas if you buy from
> NAPA (which sells the same discs, probably to the same
> brake shop) say no, you don't need to scrub them, turn
> them, etc.
>
> I recently helped do the brakes on my old '95 SLT
> (brother's truck now), and we didn't turn them. They
> worked fine from the start, and about 2500 miles later
> the haven't warped, or anything. We also replaced the
> calipers too, so he got a complete brake replacement
> really.

Sam,
Thanks for the input. Whenever I have to get my drums/rotors turned I go to
a machine shop locally that does them for $6 per item.....$14 per rotor is
what I bet the brake shops charge, and that's crazy. I will probably just
clean the rotors up and lightly go over them with some fine grit paper.
Thanks again,
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6