JBA V6 header install (and some personal thoughts)

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 00:13:36 EST

Today couldn't have been any better.
1) got my grille and tonneau cover returned for 3 weeks of shop
2) got my JBA V6 headers from Kurt on the list
3) installed the JBA v6 headers.
4) got a blaster 2 coil (hooking up tomorrow)
5) told my stillen front spoiler will be done wednesday or thursday

anyways. the headers were easy to install. The bolts came out easily
without any WD-40 needed. had to use vice-grips to get the studs out so i
can put the new bolts in. (note. there is 1 bolt that is extremely
difficult to install. it's the last bolt on the driver's side.) the install
was easy. took 1 hour to do and I had it on a bay-lift so i was able to lift
it up in the air totally and remove the y-pipe. Also. you can not install
the headers without taking the factory studs out. the last stud on both
sides couldn't go all the way thru, because the stud would hit the pipe. I
wouldn't freak out over removing the studs, because they came out fairly easy
with a pair of vice-grips

Performance? Seems like I lost gobs of low end. guess that's what a bigger
ported TB, 2.5" y-pipe, and dynomax race magnum muffler does... no back
pressure. Revs up quick like hell in neutral, but has no balls for low end
in drive. I haven't reset my computer yet, but I'm doing it as I type this.
I hope the loss in low end is due to the fact the computer hasn't "learned"
anything yet.

 I'll just put the negative terminal on back tomorrow morning (after I
realize I took it off and can't seem to figure out why the autostart unit
isn't working)

anyways. straight out easy. Headers looked really small. i mean the box it
came in was small! everything bolted straight up. the y-pipe attachment
to the header seems to fit on there kinda differently. I guess the stock
flange is bigger so the plates are closer to each other, but no leaks.

Oh yea. no jet hot coating and within the first 20 secodns of starting the
truck. the new headers start to smoke and I started to freak out a little. i
finally realized it was just the coating flaking off, (I'll post later to
the list what color it finally comes out to.)
have fun!
-Dester

PS. I see what everyone means by "dirty welding" on the inside of the
headers. I looked in that thing and i thought to my self "Damn, I can weld
better than that!" The openings on the stock manifold match up the to heads
better than the header ones did. I tell you, it was nasty dirty welding...