Ball Joints

From: flemingb@vtls.com
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 08:24:18 EST

I have to admit I think I got confused about the ball joints. On both side of
my 97 4x4 CC there are upper and lower ball joints. The last time I looked,
about 2 weeks, I saw a zerk fitting for the lower ball joint but not for the
upper. All thought this whole thread was about the upper going bad. I have
been hearing a random knocking from the front left side when crusing at 30mph.
I thought this was a ball joint, but when I jacked up the front, I couldn't get
anything to move. Is there a simple way to know for sure if it is a bad ball
joint?

I also rememeber noticing that the upper ball's boot had a elliptical hole in
it. I thought this was the problem, but at closer inspection both upper ball
joints had the same shaped hole, in the same spot... If this hole has always
been there, who knows how much water and mud have been in it with all my
offroading days.