Re: Tom (11secDak) ---->cams

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 20:52:24 EST

At 09:11 AM 3/1/2000 , you wrote:
>Hey Mike, why not take that $5000.00 and make a nice down payment on a new
>truck? I don't mean to be rude, but at least then you'd have a truck that
>wasn't 12 years old right?
>Just curious?
>Sometimes i don't really get the idea of dumping more and more cash into
>an object that you know is going to continously need more and more upkeep.
>I've got this outdated computer sitting on my desk at home that i'm not
>going to bother to upgrade, because i feel i would be wasting my
>money. I'd much rather wait it out a few more months and get a whole new
>puter that will easily last me 3-4 years without a single upgrade.
>I pretty much feel the same way about vehicles.
>
>Frank WJ

Well Frank, since I own a rather old vehicle, I'll give you my reason. I
own a 22 year old truck. It's not a Dodge btw, it's Ferd. the main
reason is - IT'S PAID FOR. No monthly payments. You can use the money to
buy mods. When I got my hands on that truck it had a little over 230,000
miles on it. Went to the junk yard, picked up a 302 long block, overhauled
it, put in a Weiand Stealth intake, gasket matched intake and ported heads,
Isky 270 mega cam, 600CFM Edelbrock, headers, true duals, dynomax super
turbos, 3.89:1 9" rear end (totally rebuilt) with TruTrac LSD, and picked
up an overdrive tranny from the junk yard, had it rebuilt, and put it in
the old truck. While in college I took an auto body and fender course and
learned how to do body work and automotive painting. Painted the truck and
had a nice paid-for truck that could out-accelerate any other truck I ran
against on the street. For a 'lil 'ol 302 it runs pretty dang
strong. Block ended up cleaning up at .030", which increased the
displacement to 306, and crank cleaned up at .010"/.010". Next motor for
that truck is a 351 Clevor. A 351W block with 351C heads.

My Dak is going to stay stock till it falls apart. That's my daily
driver. I got other toys to hot rod. Anyway, that's my reason.

Mike
'99 RC V6 5spd Sport

mschwall@flash.net