Re:Starter Problems

From: ROBINSON (rrobinson@BCMS.CARTERET.K12.NC.US)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 07:34:00 EST

I just experienced the exact same problem with my wife's 96 Caravan. You would turn the key and get a click, do it a couple more times and click, click, click, start nice and strong. I talked to the dealer and he stated that the gear reduction type starter goes bad most of the time around the 70,000 mile mark. Funny. Mine has 68,000. Close enough for me. The dealer wanted $250 for parts and labor to change out the starter. I went to NAPA, got one for $99.00 and had a local service station change it out for $30.00 (what a deal!). Big difference in price and now it works great. I though it was just the neutral safety switch until I hit the starter one time while holding one of those "clicks" and it started right up.

Rob Robinson
96 V8 Sport 2wd
Newport, NC