CV Boot(Timespan)

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:23:57 EST

   Kyle, no damage is done by a damaged boot. The damage is done by dust and
dirt getting into the grease and ironing away at the bearings. So, if there's
the slightest chance that some dust and dirt has gotten to the grease, then
you should take the CV off and clean all the grease out of it, re-pack it
completely, and re-install the new boot. It's the only way to do it right. If
it's already got over 100,000 miles, it may be worth pricing new CV's all the
way around. ( I know.... easy for me to say... ) It all depends on how long
you plan to keep the truck. Of course since they only get 'used' when in 4wd,
they hopefully are still tight. 'I feel your pain man!!'