Re: Man I sucked!!!!

From: Terry Herrin (therrin@isaac.net)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 22:41:09 EST

Mike Schwall <mschwall@flash.net> wrote:
>It's called the waterbox. If your running street tires, you want to avoid
>getting the tires wet. The track techs will get pissed at you and could
>even keep you from running. Most of the time it's just plain water, some
>use a traction compound - gets the rubber soft and sticky. The tread on
>street tires will allow water to cling to it, which gets the starting line
>wet. Water doesn't help traction too much. I've seen some techs actually
>make the runner backup and go to the end of the line.

Just so I'm clear on this, are you saying the track techs will get mad
at you if you avoid the water, or if you go through it with street
tires? I avoided the water with my RSA's my first time out a few
weeks ago, and plan to do the same again in Richmond if the weather
cooperates. However, the next time I'm at a track I plan to have my
slicks installed. With slicks, I would want to run through the water
and then burn the water off, right?

Terry Herrin
99 FR CC R/T
14.896 @ 91.11mph