Re: What bolts/gasket/coating to use with Mopar Headers???

From: Michael Clark (magnumv8@wtez.net)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 22:58:34 EST

> of everything (headers/cat/muffler/and any custom tubing)... not bad, eh?

Man that's a fantastic price!

> My questions.
> A) What kind of bolts should I use with my headers?

The speed shop that installed my headers used ARP stainless bolts I
believe. Sorry, no part numbers for ya, they had these in stock and I
just told them to use some good stainless hardware so that's what I
got. I like them.

> B) What kind of gasket should I use?

I was going to use a coper gasket, but the shop couldn't get them in
time for me. They just used a regular Fel-Pro gasket and they have
been fine.

> and C) What is the best coating for the headers, and where is the best place
> to get them done???

I had mine done at HPC http://www.hpcoatings.com/ and I would do it
again in a hartbeat. Total cost including shipping, haveing them
chemically stripped (had to remove the chrome finish and carbon on the
inside since they had been used for some time) coating them inside
and out including the Y-pipe, and shipping charges came to $275 total
cost. It was well worth it. Not only do the headers still look
great, but the heat reduction was very noticeable. You can see before
and after pics at my website www.mikesdakota.com

> (I obviously want to get quality parts... but keep in mind, I am stretching
> it thin enough as it is on the budget!)

I know how things get expensive, but the coating was one of the best
investments I made. Good luck,

--Mike

--Mike