Re: RE: Gas Out

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@vitelcom.net)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 16:22:34 EST

About 15 yrs ago, Henry "Smokey" Yunick was awarded a patent(#4,503,833) for a
relatively simple device/technology. He basically super-HEATED the incoming fuel
to a turbocharged engine using engine coolant and exhaust heat. Now we all know
the mantras of cold air, cold fuel, intercoolers etc. His test engine was
basically 3/4's of a Ford 2.3 (pinto engine). Here's the numbers:

125 cubic inches, 3 cylinder, ohc
190 hp@10 psi(unleaded 93 octane)
240 hp@ 21 psi(high perf race fuel)
48.25 mpg city/highway combined

Using this technology, a turbo'd 318 could give 480+ hp on pump gas and still
return 19 mpg combined. I may even prefer the 3.9 version, in this case-360hp/25
mpg. Unfortunately, one of the major aftermarket (like holley, edelbrock etc)
companies bought the patent. You can assume it's ben "shelved".

Dr. Pat