looking for HELP! stalling out, or not starting when it gets wet...

From: Steve Strigle (strigle@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 02:01:30 EST

 I'm looking for ideas on this one..

 My '00 RT has a problem with getting wet. If I wash it I usually can't
 start it for 5-10 minutes as I dry off stuff under the hood. (coil,
 connections, cap, etc)

 I've pulled most of my performance goodies off, the only non-stock
 things installed right now have nothing to do with electrical system
 except my MSD wires, and my Accel Supercoil. The way I have my MSD
 box hooked up is through the MSD universal harness spliced into the
 accel 140021ah. I have the "quick bypass" which lets me take the MSD
 part out of the loop pretty easy. I've reseated all my plug wires on
 the block, coil and cap, and the spliced 140021ah harness and MSD
 universal is wrapped in 3M electrical tape, convuluted tubing, and more
 3m electrical tape so it should be dry. I removed the MSD universal
 from the loop so only the 140021AH is left.. (needed for the accel
 supercoil.) Tommorow when it's daylight again I'm going to try
 swapping to the stock coil without the MSD or 140021AH but wanted to
 get some ideas for if that still dies when it gets washed.

 If the engine is running it dies. When I try to start it the starter
 tries to crank and RPM goes to about 200 while I have the key to
 start.. Tried pouring water on various parts under the hood to see if
 I could track where it dies. Soaked the battery neg terminal (my msd
 ground) started right up, soaked my msd, it started right up, soaked
 my coil started right up (sparking to water on top of the coil),
 soaked my dist. cap started right up, soaked all 8 spark plugs started
 right up, soaked my spliced harness msd+140021ah and it still started
 right up. . .

 Only time it has failed is if I'm in a spray it yourself carwash, in
 my driveway with a hose, or in an automatic carwash. (so far) Just
 pouring water on it doesn't seem to have any negative effect, and
 neither has the snow this year. (no rain yet) I'm alittle concerned,
 and need to figure this out. I have that new hood so I'm introducing more
 water under the hood when
 I put it on next weekend. . .

 Steve
'00 Dakota RT