Got the R/T back

From: Gene Rivers (webmaster@mopars.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 04:08:50 EST

OK, the R/T is back after the driveshaft incident.
Dodge buys me a new driveshaft, pinion yoke, and automatic transmission
assembly(16' crack in the case). After a close inspection of the broken
parts, the service manager is unable to tell me why the failure occurred.
114mph and it just broke I tell you.......this is what I told then ( they
are familiar with my driving habits). I took a look at all the parts, and I
found that the bolts used to replace the original bolts from when I had the
TSB done on the aluminum driveshaft last year are cheap a$$ grade 3 pieces.
These should be at least grade 5, if not 8! I then have the truck put back
up on the rack and inspect the new bolts in the new unit. The same stuff!
The mechanic had no idea that he needed to use a better grade bolt than what
was laying around in the bolt bin. another look at the old pinion yoke shows
the bolts were stretched. Probably over torqued. Real easy to strech grade 3
bolts. They probably didn't even use a torque wrench.
Anyway, its back and in the garage. It sure is a nice truck, now if I can
find a buyer for the 95.

Gene Rivers
99 R/T, CC, DA
95 SLT (still faster)