Axle Is Out!!(CV Boot Update)

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 13:01:45 EST

Well I spent about 2 hours last night cleaning and degreasing everything
which was sprayed by the cv boot grease, just to make things alittle more
'cleaner' when taking out the passenger's side axle/cv joint boot assembly.
I was alittle nervous at first, but it is really SO easy. Here is what is
involvled, or atleast what I did:
-Popped the black plastic cover off of the rim, to expose the lug nuts,
cotter pin, etc
-Pull the cotter pin out along with a 'dish shaped' cover plate/washer
-Using a LARGER 1 1/4" socket(3/4" drive) and a big "Flex T Handle" socket
bar, I loosened the shaft nut; just loosened it. With the help of my dad of
course, cause this nut was on the shaft very tight. We only broke 2
Craftsman extension bars, hehe.
-Got underneath my truck, used a 9/16(14MM) socket and wrenches to seperate
the cv joint assembly flange bolts from the flange on the differential
pumpkin, I think there were about 6-7 bolts. They were on there really
really good and tight
-Lightly tapped the flanges apart and pulled the cv joint assembly out.
There are 'seals' on both the differential pumpkin and the cv joint
assembly, so no gear fluid is lost.
-I first took the passenger's side tire off, but had to put it back on cause
the axle shaft turned when I was trying to get the flange bolts outs. So the
tire didnt even have to come off. I took it into the driveline shop about an
hour ago and they will call me when it is done, he said probably 3-4 hours.
I have another police test tonight, so I may just pull an all nighter and
put the assembly back in when the thest is done. I will finally be able to
drive my DAK!!! Can't wait!!! :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6