Gas Boycott

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 16:31:00 EST

Bob is correct. You will always need gas and you can cut down on your
consumption, but that's as far as you can 'boycott' all gas companies. In
order to truely stop the problem, you can choose one of the non-OPEC companies
and stop buying gas from it. They will almost immediately lower their prices
(since they only raised them to 'profit take' from the OPEC increase) and
slowly all the other companies will be forced to come down also: but this is a
short term fix.

If everyone really wants to make a long term fix, single out an OPEC company
and kill it. Nobody ever buys gas from them again, no matter what form they
take or how low it goes. Destroy the company. OPEC and other Economic Unions
would think twice about price controlling by supply or any other type of
restriction. The trick is, you MUST kill the company, if you just hurt it,
they'll be back at it again in just a few years. You need to clearly
demonstrate that you are capable of retaliating. We aren't talking about a
spanking here, I'm referring to an execution... ^_^

What most Americans don't realize is that we control the Global Economy, not a
boast (an apology for the tone to the citizens of other countries on the
list), just economic truth. No other country is a tightly wound into the
fabric of that economy as we are. When the USA has a depression/resession, it
throws the whole planet into one. When the USA is doing incredible (like now)
we can support and sustain the economy of even depressed major countries,
floating the world on the success. What OPEC is doing, is trying to take
advantage of our 'booming' economy. They are skimming off the top and it will
most certainly affect our entire economy. It shouldn't be allowed.
Oil/Gasoline is the lifeblood of the USA. Personally, I think we need to have
the US Government slap them with fines/tarrifs for what they are attempting to
do and leave the non-OPEC companies alone. This is where our President should
step in to protect us, but sadly, he is more interested in feel good programs
rather than real substance. Reminding me, time to go voice my opinion with my
vote today.

Shaun H.