Stolen Spare

From: Sean Bruckman (bruckman@urisp.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 11:22:30 EST

A long time ago my spare was stolen and i forgot to relate the story to you
guys. If you did not know, the spare on your 97+ dakota is extremely
conveniently secured. Meaning: It's real easy to get off. Meaning: It's real
easy to steal.

Mine was stolen the very first night i had my truck. I parked it at my
apartment downtown, went up stairs, got in bed, and then i heard a noise
outside... It took them about 5 seconds. I seriously didn't hear anything
after the first noise (presumably the wheel dropping into the weak arms of
some punk p.o.s. and crashing into the pavement.) I was tired from driving
around constantly from my 5pm pickup time to around 2am. (i thought about
sleeping in the truck somewhere deserted just to bond, and i wish i had...)

I do not live in even a moderate crime area... I planned on getting the
spare lock, but it's too late now. I would suggest everyone plunk down the
cash for a lock of some sort (even if it's a length of chain and a friggin
padlock.) This is by far the most vulnerable part of our trucks and i have
heard many stories of kids running around town and getting a complete set of
either the upscale durango-type wheels like mine or especially r/t rims. If
you have an r/t without a spare lock you are taking an unbelievable risk...
especially since a new wheel and tire would run you 250-350. Heck, it's a
good idea to get locks for the mounted wheels as well.

Sorry for the length, but this is something i'm adamant about.

In addition, i would like to ask anyone if they knew where i could find an
adequate spare replacement for my truck... i don't want to add the weight of
the stock wheel and tire back, and i don't want to pay for something
expensive that was stolen, so i want something compact, maybe even a
collapsible spare. i don't know where to look other than a junkyard. any
ideas?

Sean Bruckman
18 w/ '00 RC 4.7 Auto Loaded