Need Rt Outside Mirror for a '91

From: Paul Taglini (ptaglini@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 17:49:50 EST

Greetings DML Members,

I am in need of a replacement passenger side mirror and would rather not pay
the dealer's price, if they'd even have one. I'm asking in the slim chance
that someone out there has a spare or extra that they would be willing to
part with. My Dakota is a '91 V6 4X4 5-spd CC in black that I've had for
five years and it has served me well.

Or has anyone repaired one that had a broken metal bracket inside the
plastic cowling? After removing from the door, there seems to be a few nuts
that hold the bracket to the cowling that are accessible through holes in
the panel to which the glass is glued. Unfortunately, removing the glass
from this panel is impossible with out breaking it, which I've already
partially done.

I'm thinking of breaking the rest of the glass off, disassembling the unit
and having the bracket welded. But it appears to be made of white metal
and can this metal be welded at all? Then I'd still have to find a
replacement
glass, maybe have one made. If this procedure is feasible, it may be
cheaper
than purchasing from a dealer.

I've been unable to find ANY Dakotas in the local junk yards. If anyone
knows of one that I may have missed in the Manchester, NH, area, please
reply.

Any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Paul Taglini