New member - Need help with tach installation

From: Dave Holeczy (dhwfd46@hgo.net)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 18:50:08 EST

I just picked up a '94 Dakota Sport 4x2 with a 2.5 litre. The truck didn't
have a tach so I purchased a complete instrument cluster with a tach.
Everything works but the tach(including the new fuel gauge/voltmeter
module.) I'm assuming that since it didn't originally come equipped with a
tach there may be no input from the engine. I have checked the local Mopar
dealers,none of whom can tell me where the impulse comes from. They say
there's no pickup on the distributor,as they can't find such a part listing.
The only other advise they can offer is to find a Dak with a tach and look
under the hood and trace the wire. The tach does move a little when the
ignition is swiched on,and all the guages come to life. However, that's it!
Does the input come from the SMEC(Single Module Engine Controller?) If so,
could I be missing a wire or do I need a new SMEC? I wanted a factory tach
as it looks much cleaner than aftermarket units. My last Dak had one. I know
I'm not the only guy out there to try to do this. PLEASE,somebody help. By
the way, I'm going to transplant a V-8 after the current project in my
garage gets put back together.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Holeczy