Re: Re: Metal Questions/Availability

From: fdedip@whale-mail.com
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 22:13:24 EST

Well, of course it oxidizes, but it doesn't rust. "rust" refers
specifically to the oxidation of iron. Anodized aluminum is an
excellent material in certain applications. When I had to buy new
wheels for my 10 speed, a few years ago, I had a choice between
aluminum and steel. Aluminum cost more, the bike shop guy told me
that the advantages are: lighter, brakes faster in the rain. I asked
if there were any advantages to the steel (thinking of durability)-
no.
On the other hand... I can't imagine anyone building an electrical
enclosure out of aluminum! My dad is an electrical engineer, and I
know hes never done anything like that.
Flip