RE: Washboard...

From: brian.duffey@intelsat.int
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 16:18:32 EST

That would be all fine & dandy, except that the most common washboard roads
I've experienced, the water runs on the vertical plane (ie: downhill), but
the washboards run on the horizontal plane.

The most common (and logical) explanation that I've heard for washboard
roads is that heat/cold, combined with the braking from heavy vehicles,
combine to shift the road surface and form the washboard effect. Most
washboard roads in my area are on hills, as a heavy truck (dump truck) goes
down the hill and brakes, some of that weight/energy is absorbed by the road
surface, causing the surface to 'bunch up' (for lack of a more technical
term!) and causing the 'washboard'.

Think about it (and the washboard roads you might travel). Stop signs and
stop lights -- tend to have washboard just before them, new construction in
your area? -- how long does it take for the washboard effect to appear? I
know that in the summer time, once construction picks up in an area, the
roads go to washboard pretty darn quick!

O.K. enough time theorizing, guess we've proved that there still is no one
definitive answer to this question!

Duff