Lowering a '96

From: durling@attglobal.net
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 23:41:08 EST

I seem to remember that someone posted that the western chassis kit can
be setup for 1" lowering in the rear. This kit uses hangers and shackles
but I don't have any other specifics. I tried 2" lowering blocks and
hated them. The blocks are definatly made to very ridged specs (cast
iron) but I didn't like how they made my truck level out. I finally
found another set of 1" blocks (very hard to come by) in aluminum (if I
could get in cast iron also then I wouldn't mind them) but I craked the
one I was installing when I was torquing it down to the specs that I was
given in the instructions. I basically don;t like the aluminum blocks.
The r/t wheels and tires I have will work with a set of 1" speings in
the front but I have to massage the back (cab-side) of the wheel well. I
also have to check the the tires will not hit the top of the wheel well
lip (tread looks like it may hit the back edge of it). I will go blocks
if I can get the same material but havn't had any luck only aluminum. If
anybody has any info on the kit I would appreciate it. Also, can I have
a shop cut the iron blocks I have longways to make them only 1" tall. I
cannot see how it would effect the ride or safety of the block due to
what they are made of. I would just have to drill the hole for the leaf
spring pin a little deeper. The blocks look as though they were made to
be cast as shorter blocks by the way they filled in the square areas up
by the top (hard to explain).

Jeff Durling
'96 RC Sport-318