Re: Sway-A-Way Torsion bars?

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 12:20:06 EST

I had tweaked the bar the bar two years ago on another excersion. I could
tell because after a day of wheeling, the truck sat about 1" lower on the
driver's side than the passenger's and the truck was level with cranked bars
when I started. I dropped the other side down to adjust for the bar because
I couldn't crank it any higher. Last weekend, I was out with a few friends
and there is an old section of rail road bed where the track had been
removed. I was going through there at a pretty good speed. By buddy said I
was catching air off the high spots. Anyhow, I heard a loud clunk and the
truck took a hard left. The bar had snapped, came up into the fender and
mangled the hell out of the bushwacker flare. The truck has 200,000 on it
and the bar was weak. When I bought the truck there was a plow on the front
so I'm not suprised. I'm just going to throw another set of bars in it for
now. Later on when I have the room to start a major project, I'll do that
straight axle conversion I've talked about in the past.

When I called Sway-A-Way, the guy told me that their bars are splined on the
ends, not hexed. Said they don't make anything but splined bars and the
listing for Dodge Mini-Truck applications refers to only D50s and Raiders.
The listing on their web site lists the same part numbers for Mitsubishi
applications.

I don't think they made them for Dakotas.

I think I'm just going to go to the dealer and buy a set of 2000lbs V8 bars.

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4 and 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM