RE: The Tale of 2 Cats

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 20:51:52 EST

> At 09:07 PM 3/15/00 , you wrote:
>
>>Well last night I got my cat replaced for the second time
>>(the first was 12/99), it started to rattle 2 weeks ago, and the
>>replacement was the wrong part. Well the new one showed up and was crappy
cat was
>>replaced. On the way home the truck started running really crappy (at a
stop
>>light and at idle the truck sounded like it 3/4 race cam, it had such a
lope
>>that it scared am Impala SS). But anyways I get home and pull the codes,
got a
>>12-21-21-55..
>>Guess what? O2 sensor took a dump
>
> I took my wife's van to get new shocks. The place is also an
> exhaust shop. While there, I noticed a poster on the wall that said that
in
> a properly tuned vehicle, the cat should not wear out. If the cat does
> go bad, it is an indication of some other problem. One of the causes
listed
> was faulty O2 sensors. Sounds like yours were bad for some time and the
> symptoms were so subtle that you didn't realize it till the cat went.
Maybe it
> would be a good idea to start pulling codes in our trucks once a month
> or so to see if the computer catches a problem before we notice it
ourselves.
> A little preventative maintenance now is better than a big repair bill
> later. Just a thought.

Mike before I took it in(the first time)I pulled the codes. Nada...zip.. But
the truck acted up once in a while..So I was keeping a very close eye..
Probably so intermittent that it wouldn't cause a flag on the PCM. I had a
89 Shadow that I never got a code for a bad O2 sensor, but it was bad. The
only way I found out that the dealer ran their scan tool on it because it
was running like crap. The only reoccurring problem that in traffic the last
couple of weeks the truck would just stall. Wouldn't happen with any
regularity but it would. No codes, nothing. At first I thought it was the
cam position sensor in the distributor, but that would have produced a MIL.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ