Re: The Tale of 2 Cats

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 13:10:29 EST

At 09:07 PM 3/15/00 , you wrote:

>Well last night I got my cat replaced for the second time (the first was
>12/99), it started to rattle 2 weeks ago, and the replacement was the wrong
>part. Well the new one showed up and was crappy cat was replaced. On the way
>home the truck started running really crappy (at a stop light and at idle
>the truck sounded like it 3/4 race cam, it had such a lope that it scared am
>Impala SS). But anyways I get home and pull the codes, got a 12-21-21-55..
>Guess what? O2 sensor took a dump

I took my wife's van to get new shocks. The place is also an exhaust shop.
While there, I noticed a poster on the wall that said that in a properly
tuned vehicle, the cat should not wear out. If the cat does go bad, it is
an indication of some other problem. One of the causes listed was faulty O2
sensors. Sounds like yours were bad for some time and the symptoms were so
subtle that you didn't realize it till the cat went. Maybe it would be a
good idea to start pulling codes in our trucks once a month or so to see if
the computer catches a problem before we notice it ourselves. A little
preventative maintenance now is better than a big repair bill later. Just a
thought.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

I am not suffering from insanity,
I am enjoying every single minute of it!