Re:Chucks Air Intake (Tom)

From: Chuck and Loreen (clrobbins@home.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 09:59:21 EST

Hi Tom,

    I think the biggest reason why I noticed such a dramatic difference
between the FIPK clone and the open air filter is that I installed the
clone (pvc version) at about the same time my Dak's computer was
learning the headers. The open air filter only had the QuickD TB and
dual cold air intakes to help it out. Unfortunately, I don't have any
hard numbers to put down, but my butt dyno tells me this thing works.
    One of the main reasons why I am so biased against the open air
filter is because my throttle response suffered greatly with it. My Dak
was getting a huge "gulp" of air on acceleration and it took the engine
a moment to catch up. When I just quickly tapped the accelerator, I would
hear air rush in, but no increase in revs. It made smooth shifting a b***h.
Also, I didn't really care for the whistling noise with the open air filter.
I'm glad this clone has none of those characteristics. I do still have the
loud roar with WOT, though, but it's not as loud as with the open filter.
    And yes my Dak will be more blue when it shows up at Foxwoods :)
The bumper cover is going to be blue, my SS wiper cowl will be blue
and the marker masks are being repainted blue when all the other work
is done. AND I'm toying around with the idea of painting the SS grilles
blue as I don't think that the aluminum look would match the rest of my
Dak. Yes, Flip and Heather have competition in the northeast <grin>
    See ya soon!

Chuck Robbins
'99 Sport v6 5spd 2wd RC
http://www.members.home.com/clrobbins/dakota.htm