Re: Car Audio Ponderings -- LONG

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 16:53:11 EST

Assuming your speakers will handle the volume without distorting, the
50x4amp installation will give you good quality sound with fairly weak
bass. As for the truck-style boxes, I personally wouldn't get one of the
"full range" boxes for an RC, because the back of the seat would muffle
most of the mids and highs. a sub-only box is nice though, and might be
doable depending on how tall you are. I'd expect you to lose about 2
clicks of travel on the seat, but still be able to recline it to the wall.

If you do decide to go the box route, you have a few decisions to
make. First and foremost, can you get enough clean volume out of your
front speakers, or will you need to amplify them to match the
sub(s)? If they'll go loud enough, pick up some bass blockers (about
$12/pair), which will help to keep them from distorting. If your head
unit isn't powerful enough, you'll need to get a multichannel amp (4
channel)

Secondly, do you want 1 sub or 2? I'd personally recommend 1 8 or
10", MAYBE 2 8s, but definitely not 2 10s. Require too much power, and
unbalance the sound. 2 channels of a 50x? amp briged to mono will be
sufficient for 1 8 or 10", you'd probably want at least 75 watts going to
each 8" if you went the dual route. If you needed a 4-channel above, I'd
personally go with a 50x4 and a single 10". If space becomes a concern,
you can always put it behind the passenger seat.

I apologize for babbling at lenghth, and I hope some of this information
is intelligible and helpful in some way. :-)

David Gloff
Computer Technician
Valcom Professional Computer Center; Kemper/Scudder/Zurich Funds
aolim: dgloff
Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG
F&B Stage I TB, Keystone/Proglass Ram Air Hood, 14x3" K&N, Sir Michael's
Roll Pan, Custom monochrome paint

If ignorance is bliss, liberals must be the happiest people on earth