Car Audio Ponderings

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 01:57:24 EST

I will soon have my bucket seats in, probably by early next week or late
this week; depending on when a seat mount bracket comes in. I would like to
possibly 'upgrade' my stereo system this summer in my Dak and I would like
some input from the car audio experts out there on the DML, what would be
the best 'bang-for-my-buck'. I currently have a Pioneer DEH45DH CD Deck,
Pioneer 6.5" 2way Speakers in the doors, and Pioneer 5x7" 3way Speakers in
the rear lower cab corner. Remember now, my Dak is a regular cab. I am just
looking for some better overall sound quality at higher levels of play,
something my Pioneer does very well at lower levels, but lacks at higher
levels.

1)Buy a decent 4channel amp(40-50X4?) and 'amp-out' all 4 Pioneer speakers.
Of course, I would use really good power wire, patch cables, speaker wire,
etc.
2)Buy a decent 2channel amp and 'amp-out' some type of 'truck-style' boxes,
either with 8" or 10" woofers. Once again, I would use really good power
wire, patch cables, speaker wire, etc. Will these truck style boxes allow me
to still have my seats fairly far back in the seat track and also fairly far
back in the cab?

What are the pros/cons of either #1 or #2, what will sound better, and what
be of course be most cost effective? THANKS!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6