MTBE (WAS: Re: Ethanol Fuel)

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 19:10:14 EST

At 10:21 PM 3/21/2000 , you wrote:
>So what does ethanol do as just an additive. I.E. It's supposed to replace
>the MBTE additive in the N.E. and not to be run as pure fuel...
>
>On another note, I thought the MBTE was what was killing my gas mileage
>during
>the winter months but according to an Engineer friend of mine it's actually
>some sort of anti-freeze additive that screws up everybody in the winter.
>Tom

Ok for those that at interested, and for chemistry buffs, check out the
gasoline faq at the address below.

http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part1.html

There are four parts to it, replace "part1.html" with part2.html...part3, etc.

Part 1 contains info on MTBE - what it is, what it does, and why it is
used. Faq also has methanol and ethanol info.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net