Re: Center Consoles/Custom Enclosures

From: gmvega (gmvega@gateway.net)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 17:56:24 EST

Kyle
Depending on how handy you are and how willing you are to doing something
"unknown", the best way to make the center console is to make it out of
fiberglass. This would eliminate the boxy shape that invariabably results
when you use plywood. I would start off by making a plywood base (1/2") and
make a plug using florist foam and shape it to the desired shape. Add an
upper base to which you will mount the door/cover. Fiberglass using felt
and resin. Use two layers of felt making sure to soak throughly. Once it
has set up, tear out the foam and build up additional layers, depending on
how you're going to use it. If its for storage only, about 1/2" should be
sufficient. If you going to install speakers in it, you will need 3/4" - 1"
of thickness. Sand the inside and paint some matching matt color, sing
thick coats to smooth out. The outside can be covered in factory matching
vinyl or fabric available at any uphostery supply house.
 ( Try http://www.selectproducts.com/home/index.html on the net).
Cover can be made in a similar fashion. and add foam and uphostery
material.
Note: using foam to creat a plug is very helpful in fabricating intricate
designs. Look at
http://users.jnlk.com/dakrt/homemade.htm
http://users.jnlk.com/dakrt/speaker.htm
for examples.