RE: Re: RE: Re: Open to LSD diff conversion, need advice on fluids!!

From: Curt Coulter (curt@cjnetworking.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 14:55:54 EST

I'm not convinced that 'Hypoid' specifically indicates that it has a
friction modifier in it. I was under the impression that it just indicated
that it would withstand the pressures of hypoid gear sets (much like the
GL-4 or GL-5 rating).

HOWEVER, after looking at the data sheet for Mobil1 Synthetic gear lube, you
are correct, no additional friction modifier is needed. It states: "It is
manufactured from synthesized hydrocarbon base oils and a specially designed
extreme-pressure, limited-slip, sulfur-phosphorus additive package." Also
that it reduces chatter, etc etc.

The data sheet is at:
http://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS.nsf/26b7c4b33367a4a086256665004e42
66/951b10d046e0bafd852567ba0050ec5f?OpenDocument

for anyone interested, or just go to www.mobil1.com and click product data
and drill down to it if that doesn't work.

I also found that redline specifically states their synthetics have the
friction modifier in them unless you order the NS product (no slip, no
friction modifier, NOT for LSDs).

Thanks!

-Curt