RE: RE: DML Cam Questions

From: John Mautz (jmautz@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 00:35:09 EST

If you want bottom end torque keep the stock cam (3500 RPM and below). If
you want top end HP then the Hughes 0612AL is about the best out there (the
bigger Hughes cams will produce even more top end but loose way too much
down low and may cause problems with the computer).

If you want to add a blower (Vortech, ProCharger, Powerdyne or such) then
the stock cam is still your top choice for low end torque (up to 3000 RPM).
But for the top end the CompCams 20-604-8 looks excelent from 3500 RPM on
up.

The problem with the Hughes and Comp 20-604-8 cams is their high lobe lift
of .512. This is great for top end drag racing but will cause extended
valve train ware as the valves are moving a greater distance and the springs
are being compressed more before being released. Remember even at idle the
valve still travels the same distance as when at max RPM.

If you want my opinion, which you may not, stick with the stock cam. DC did
a good job when they picked this cam.

John.