Re: bike racks and first post

From: Mike Cryan (m_cryan@snet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 01:28:21 EST

I've been lurking around for quite a while looking for a question I could possibly answer and it is
this: how do you carry a bike in the bed of a Dakota?

I have a 2x8 plank lag bolted to a pair of 4x6x8 blocks, all cut to fit very snugly in the front of
the bed - to get it out, I've got to disassemble the foolish thing. Holding the bikes in place are
Bike Tight fork blocks and Yakima locking long throw skewers. The fork blocks are $25 each and the
skewers are $90 each (not including lock cores). Rather expensive I know, but I've already had one
bike stolen out of the bed, my new bike (99 Klein Mantra Pro) won't suffer the same fate. To back
this all up, I've got a Kryptonite new york chain that locks the frame of the bike to the light bar.

And a bit about meself. I've got a blue '91 Dakota Sport 4x4, regular cab, 318 v8(premag), 4spd auto.
When you buy used, you get what you can.... I just put the last payments down on her last month so
things are already starting to go click and squeak and groan that were silent when the bank owned it.
Its used primarily as a daily driver to my job (camp ranger at Yawgoog Scout Reservation) and there
are no suspension or engine mods because I need it to go every morning. As much as I would like to
install a 2" lift and locker to improve off road worthiness, I can't take it out of service long
enough to do the work.
For fun I: Mountain bike, climb ice, white water canoe, and backpack. I'd like to get an old M275a4
mule for playing around in mud pits if anyone knows where they can be had fairly cheap....

Mike
'91 sport 4x4, 318, 4spd auto