Re: Re: PowerTrax No-Slip Installed

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 07:54:31 EST

<<You just couldnt wait could you Tom????? I thought you said you would
have to wait till next weekend!! From start to finish, how long did it take
you? This is good to know anyone can really install these....and save alot
on installation at that!! Did you previously have a rear LSD or an open
rear diff?
Good to hear things went good. Can wait to try it out off road can you? Kyle>>

Hehehe... I knew the waiting would drive me nutz so I made time to install it
yesterday! It took me a long, long time which is not typical. Just getting
the lug nuts off 'cause of those jerks at Sullivan Tire took around THREE PLUS
HOURS! of spraying liquid wrench, trying again, waiting, spraying, trying
again... The only upside is I didn't shear off any wheel studs by using hand
tools. Then another couple of hours breaking the brake drums free 'cause they
were "locked" on due to the excessive torque used on the lug nuts.

As long as some moron with an impact wrench doesn't rotate your tires and all
the pieces fit (I spent 30-45 minutes filing down the C-clips) I figure three
hours is more than enough time. That would include lifting and supporting the
rig, draining/cleaning the diff., scraping off old gasket stuff, installing and
waiting an hour before filling (to give the RTV time to setup). It's really
very easy but the "easiest" part (taking the tires off) through a wrench into
my install.

I had an open differential and you're right, I'm chomping at the bit to take
'er off-road and hopefully get the "big" pay-off!
Tom