Re: PowerTrax No-Slip Installed

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 23:15:56 EST

> Finally got the thing in! While not difficult by any stretch of the
> imagination today was an exercise in frustration!
> Application:
> 1998 Kota 4x4 with Open or Standard 8 1/4, 29 spline rear axle and
automatic
> transmission.
>The Install:
> > First, unless you have super tall jack stands, bring lots of wood to
stack
> under 'em 'cause you ain't reaching the frame rails if ya' don't! Second,
> know exactly how those F'N ASSH*LES sheared off my wheel stud (from a
previous
> post for newbies ;)... I almost had to scrap the whole mission 'cause the
lug
> nuts where put on with a ZILLION lb-ft of torque! For anyone in the N.E.
area
> this was Sullivan Tire that did this. For your own sake, avoid these
monkeys
> like the plague! Third, probably related to 2 above, the brake drums were
an
> every lovin' b*tch to get off. After that the old gears, pinion shaft and
> everything else was a walk in the park except for the C-clips... I dunno
if
> PowerTrax screwed up here or the tolerance/measurement of these vary as
the OEM
> clips were too large to fit in the spacers that PowerTrax provides. More
of a
> PIA than anything else as about 30-45 minutes, a vice and a hand metal
file
> fixed 'em up. Didn't take much filing at all and the large amount of time
was
> due to constantly testing the fitment to make sure I took off only the
bare
> minimum. Random notes: Bring lots and lots of brake cleaning fluid. I
used
> around 4 maybe 5 cans cleaning things up/out. Also, buy a can of Permatex
> gasket remover. I don't even want to know what's in this stuff, but it
turned
> the old gasket into a goo that just rubbed off. Lastly, when they say
twist
> and PUSH HARD on the replacement pinion shaft, they mean it! Ya' can't be
> tentative (like I first tried) and hope to get it past the internal
springs.

You just couldnt wait could you Tom????? I thought you said you would have
to wait till next weekend!! From start to finish, how long did it take you?
This is good to know anyone can really install these....and save alot on
installation at that!! Did you previously have a rear LSD or an open rear
diff?
Good to hear things went good. Can wait to try it out off road can you>?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6