Camaro SS Notes (wordy)

From: Michael Hines (michael_hines@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 21:26:28 EST

DML'ers

As an owner of a '99 Camaro SS six-speed (M6), I can tell you that the car
may be rated for 320 hp, but the horses GM is packing under the hood of the
F-bodies must be bigger than the SAE standard horse... These cars run really
well. Most LS1 M6s (305 hp) are bona fide mid/high 13 second cars with the
SS/WS6 variants (320 hp), in experienced hands, turning low/mid 13 second
ETs. This would suggest around 340-355 hp. The 305-hp LS1s are dynoing
290-295 hp at the rear wheels, which further bolsters the case for bigger
horses! I would be interested in seeing one of the 75th anniversary cars
you're discussing. I understand that getting 400 hp in an LS1 is not as
easily achieved as getting 400 hp from an older LT1, but it is still pretty
academic using standard upgrades, i.e. headers, exhaust, intake, etc.

This Camaro of ours may not be roomy, but it is the fastest car I have ever
owned, and easily one of the top 3 fastest factory cars I have ever
driven...and I have owned some rockets, including several 5.0 Mustangs, a
Buick Grand National, and a '73 Dart 340 Sport among others.

As far as the $10k goes, it is actually about $17k if you consider that an
LS1 F-body can be had at or near invoice with rebates (Mustangs eat 'em
alive on the showroom floor in terms of sales). I guess the actual mods add
$4-6k to the price, maybe, and the rest is "market value adjustment"...

Another note - the SS is my wife's car (She pretty much maxed out the
wife/GF test last week). I wanted her to get a 300M or a 328i, but no, she
had to have a badass street brawler with a 6-speed...God, I love 'er!

Dakota content - If I could build a Dakota to run with my SS, I'd be looking
into handling mods big time, because where I live (WV), we quickly run out
of straight road! OTOH, my 4.7L/3.92:1 Durango just keeps getting stronger
and stronger with every mile of break-in...it is a runnin' SOB...I love this
truck!

Thanks, guys, for letting me ramble! Sorry to be off-topic, now back to our
regularly scheduled Dakotas!

Mike Hines
'00 Durango SLT+
'99 Camaro SS M6