Re: Speaking of Low Fuel Lights?

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 18:01:24 EST

Jon Steiger wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Wisotzkey, Rich wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know if anyone owning a '96 has a functioning low fuel
> > indicator. I've had my dash apart and the circuit board is there intact.
> > The lamp socket is in the console, but no bulb. I inserted a bulb, but no
> > go. I can't believe the would have removed this minor feature from '95 to
> > '96. I believe I remember Jon Steiger also mentioning the lamp in his '96
> > not functioning either. Anbody have one that works?
> > Rich - Ashburn, VA
> >

> Yep, that's correct; I don't have one. I suspect it may have something
> to do with the new OBD-II computers in '96? '96 was the first year of
> OBD-II, and the computers were very different than in '95, then in '97
> they completely redesigned the gauges and the way they are manipulated by
> the computer. Maybe we '96ers just got stuck in the middle, and having
> no low fuel light was some sort of compromise as a result of being in a
> state of transition?

The '96 Rams all have a functional low fuel light - if it matters. That thing
has been lit up alot lately too 8-) I usually get at least 40 miles after it
comes on although I know that running the tanks that low is bad for the fuel
pump. See - I'm actually trying to burn up my fuel pump - that way I can
justify to my wife a whole new fuel system 8-)).

Forward Thinking,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"