Re: Re: Re: Twin Turbo Group Buy?

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 21:33:38 EST

At 09:08 PM 3/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>THis sounds very interesting. What about using a VNT (i believe is whatit's
>called) style turbo. Maening a turbo with the vanes inside it that a
>variable. I
>know that honda had one of these and I believe that chrysler used them also in
>the later turbo cars. They are supposed to give really big gains from a small
>turba and almost completely eliminate lag. Not an expert in turbos just a
>thought.

    Yep, a VNT probably would do the trick. Of course, there is still the
crossover pipe issue, but the VNT technology could make a big turbo act
like a small one at low rpms and like a big one at high rpms, probably
eliminating the lag/streetability reasons to go with twin
turbos. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate an inexpensive source
for them. I read that Garret built them for Chrysler, but now that the
demand is gone, they were trying to sell the remaining units. I don't know
if they are all sold out or not, but I'm not even sure if there are VNT
turbos being produced anymore. (Anyone know?) If I'm going to go through
the trouble of putting together a kit, I want to use components I can be
sure will be available into the future. (Also, if I need to replace a
turbo, I want to be sure they will be available...)

                                               -Jon-

   .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'