Re: Duster - SAM

From: Sam Parthemer (rtdkota@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 12:45:13 EST

Huh???

If the vehicle is '73 and older (not sure on the '74
stuff-- haven't checked for '2000) you are exempted
from the biannual smog inspection. ALSO, you are not
required to have the vehicle smogged upon ownership
transfer. I know this, as I sold my '69 CJ5 jeep last
year (and it was missing the smog pump, injector
tubing, etc.) No smog certification was needed on my
'72 Dart I purchased last year either.

With my '72 Dart I could drop in a HEMI and have no
problem getting it registered. There wasn't a HEMI
dart in '72 either.

Now the new thing that has come about, and might cause
some issues (and has ruffled some feathers in our
mopar club). CARB (Califoria Air Research Board) now
has this little mobile smog stations that they set up
around town on short notice. Basically, you'd drive
up a street.. see some cones, a CHP officer standing
there with a SLOW or STOP sign, and if you got the
STOP sign, he'd motion you to pull into the cone lane
on the right... and proceed to the rollers. They'd
dyno your vehicle right there (for smog, not HP &
torque readings!)... I got stopped, and I simply
pulled up (in my wife's 4x4) and told them it wouldn't
work, 'cause I have full time 4wd (I do, but in the
'99 I COULD go into 2 HI)... so I was told to pull on
through. Some people from the mopar club found this:
If you had, say a '65 Polara, or a '57 Cheby, or some
other possible Hot-Rod.. and had a B&M or Weiland
Blower sticking out the hood.. you too could be
stopped for smog (even though you are excempt from
binannual inspections). You'd have to pass the smog
sniffer within levels set up for your make/model/year
vehicle (no matter WHAT year). If you failed, you'd
be tagged a gross polluter, and have to correct the
situation, PLUS then get inspected EVERY year prior to
renewing your tags each year. Forever.

A couple of people have spoken to the guys giving the
tests, and were told the main reason this is being
done is to catch the import cars/trucks that are
running around without ANY smog equipment (new
vehicles-- aka coffee can exhaust guys). I think the
idea is great, to catch those people, but do not like
the idea of checking exempted vehicles.

Sam '00 RT