Re: Brake Question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 01:08:11 EST

> Ouch. Do yourself a favor and get new pads. 30-40 bucks? you COULD
reuse
> the old pads, but I did and just never slept well over it. the pads were
> (genuine mopar) and they wore down fast. I had to replace them within a
week
> anyways.
> anyways. 40 bucks a rotor is cheap. I paid 56 a piece and that's with
> NAPA's discount for a automotive technology class...
> Oh, to answer your question about the new rotor. You could/can slap them
on
> without turning them, but as my automotive teacher told us. The book says
> that it should be turned very lightly before being put on. Even if it's
> brand new off the assembly line.
> -Dester

Thanks for the info Dester. I always buy lifetime pads and shoes, so I
havent paid for any since I did the first brake job, along time ago. I
always get about 35-45,000 miles out of my pads/shoes. I just was thinking
since the pads last that long, they really should not be worn at all with
only 6,000 miles on them. I mean what can really happen with 6,000 mile old
pads and putting new rotors on now? Also I was hoping I wouldnt have to turn
them, as I did with the new rear drums, you can just go over them lightly
with some sandpaper in a circular motion, just wasnt sure if the same can be
done with rotors. No need to turn new drums. hopefully I wont have to with
the rotors.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6