Re: VNT Turbo (Turbo IV)

From: Mag318Racr@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 01:24:17 EST

Ok, as long as we're on the same page here. I wasn't comparing the boost
levels to my TIII enging but a TII. I wouldn't run that much on a TIII
because they are known for head gaskets leaks. There are people turning up
to 27lbs out of SOHC TII's. Maybe a pair of VNT's would work great on a Dak
but they cost much more than a regular turbo. But with the natural low eng
grunt of a pushrod engine, I wouldnt see the need for all that boost down low
in the normal driving range. Too bad on what happened to your Shadow, I bet
that was one really fun car.

In a message dated 3/31/00 6:04:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com writes:

> I wasn't insulted, I was just curious about the top end comment. I had my
> bleed valve jam on me and my boost gauge went way beyond it's max of 15.
> The
> engine seemed to handle it fine but once I didn't hear the familiar bleed
> off
> of air I looked at my gauge went "Oh CRAP!" and backed it down immediately.
> If the gauge is even close to linear, it pegged at what I would call 18-20
> psi. I don't think the turbo had a problem generating 20 psi, but without
> DOHC, I don't think the engine could move enough air to keep it at 20. If
> you
> removed your small turbo off your IROC (which has the DOHC engine if I'm
not
> mistaken) and put the VNT on it, I don't think you'd have a problem
> generating
> 20+psi. The VNT is a large turbo with variable vanes to let it spool up
> faster than the small turbos, decreasing turbo lag. As the RPM's
increased,
> the vanes ran outward with centrifugal force and sucked in even more air.
> The
> biggest problem I had with the VNT was learning that it was variable across
> the demand curve. If you floored it, it was consistent, but inconsistent
> throttle caused it to behave semi-wildy and you could break the tires
loose
> in
> a normal shift if you hadn't learned this 'oddity'. I burned through my
> first
> Getrag clutch in 17k just figuring this out. My second clutch had lasted
me
> over 55k before the Shadow was totalled by an idiot that rear-ended me
while
> yaking on his cell phone.
> ( I was stopped, he was doing 60... The car absorbed the shock perfectly,
> the
> passenger compartment wasn't even intruded and the trunk was only pushed in
> about 2 inches... not bad for a little car. But it didn't survive.)
> As far as I can tell, and from all other accounts, the VNT was the
finest
> turbo Chryco ever put on a vehicle. Because it was self governing, it
didn'
> need the wastegate controller. My Shadow was incredibly rare, but I know
> the
> Shelby VNT Daytonas are still worth a mint if in good shape. I still mourn
> it's passing, but it got replaced by the Dakota, not a bad trade.

Kelly in SC
'96 CC 5.2
'92 Daytona IROC R/T Finally!
'86 Daytona Turbo Z CS "Free 2 Good Home"