Re: Thermostat

From: Shari & Marty (msdng@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 01:45:45 EST

Grain of salt to follow.....on my 93 and 95, I swapped in a 160 degree
t-stat, I took the truck out and the motor ran as if the initial timing was
too far ahead. In other words, the motor sounded tough as it was pulling,
but it wasn't really "pulling", more like falling on it's nose. Went
straight to the 180 degree and whammo, it pulled hard. Nice change from the
stock 195 t-stat. Fast forward to the R/T....installed
headers, comp cam, ported TB, 3" Flowmaster, stock computer, MSD, 24lbs
Cobra injectors and a 180 due to my fear of the 160. Ran great. Talked with
Mike Leech who introduced me to Ron Zimmer who introduced me to Mark
Malmstead a Chysler programmer who did some research with my rough cam in
the 99. I confirmed that the 93-95 did not go into closed loop till after
178-180 degrees. Therefore, the data tables that were suppossed to be
flashed with my driving habits went to a stock WOT setting (like when the
battery is disconnected). On of the 56000 parameters was set to this 178
figure. Flash forward to the 99, same programming parameter, YET, many 97-99
guys put in a 160 and claimed theirs ran fine. Anyone care to test this idea
at the track? Someone with a 95 or older and someone without a blower or
juice on a 97 and up (I'll skip the 96 for another reason) swap the two
different t-stats and record the differences. But this kinda goes against my
one week theory of "learning", letting the motor see what it has. But it is
still worth the info. As for the 95 that belongs to Chris, I would "strongly
recommend" a 180 degree t-stat. I hope this will give you some direction in
your choice.
Kuk

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World