Re: Re: Thermostat

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 15:36:47 EDT

At 12:20 PM 4/2/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I haven't heard from Bill or his son in a Lonnnnng time, good friends. You
>have a 96? Please confirm this before I babble.

No, I've got a '97, 318, auto. I got tired of waiting for MP to come
out with one for the '97. Performance is there but gauges don't function.

>I'll check with some folks upstairs, because even though I was told 97 ups
>(which may strongly include the 96) were set to the same number for closed
>loop operation, everyone I know has run under that number. What may be
>happening is there is a window that the t-stat will open in, and the
>position of the water temp, not IAT, could be positioned far away enough
>to have a gross temp difference of 10 or more degrees. The temp sensor
>may not be that accurate. If a 150 was put in or a T-stat was ommitted,
>I believe the that the window would travel below the number it is looking
>for to perform closed loop.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea how things worked in this area.

>I am piecing together a 95-93 now, which I don't even have yet, but the parts
>are stacking up. I have a Paxton which I am sending out for an upgrade, so
with
>this setup, I will run a 160 or 165.

I'll be putting in the MPI soon (should be a good match-up with the current
Magnum R/T cam and F&B tb) and will continue testing with this custom
computer.
When you get everything together and, if the computer doesn't pan out for
my app.,
you can try it out on your truck if you like. It's calibrated to run a 10lb
boost or a 150hp shot without detonation & idle is set at about 1000 rpm to
run undersized pulleys.

>The other thing is if it reaches closed loop driving, then travels below say
>160 degrees actually, the internal coil (PLC term for a set of conditions
>to activate a latch) has already been fired. This would account for you
>seeing closed loop while driving to the track.

Hmmm. The computer has also had all delays removed but I don't know what
is involved with this. The throttle response is certainly instanteous at
partial
throttle and steady acceleration.

>Did you know? On the 99, I had to disconnect the battery to clear my tables
>and drive for one week like a leadfoot after adjusting the kickdown cable
>for it to run smooth and shift better? I adjusted it at first without and
>the tranny freaked out on me, waiting to shift, & wacked out shift points
>at part throttle. Clearing the tables fixed it.

I reset the computer and, normally by the fifth run, I get my best times.
I've read a Chrysler techie recommended opening it up once at day (up to
80 mph). I'm still experimenting with the TV cable. Finished up the year,
with it 3 notches towards the firewall. It gave me a high enough 1-2
shift to stay in the power band but just not quite enough for an auto. 2-3
shift
to stay in the power band. Someone on the diy-efi list said that I should
be adjusting towards the rad to ease the line pressure. BTW, I don't believe
that I mentioned that the shift problems only cropped up after a Transgo kit
install (by a tranny pro).

>I would strongly recommend Zimmer to cut a chip if you have $500 to spend,
>he is the best I know of. It may be worth just talking to him if you can't
>get a problem fixed.

I've seen his name mentioned before but did not know who he was or where
I could contact him.

Thanks for all this food-for-thought data,

Bob