Re: Re: Thermostat

From: Shari & Marty (msdng@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 12:20:26 EDT

I haven't heard from Bill or his son in a Lonnnnng time, good friends. You
have a 96? Please confirm
this before I babble.

..........I've had the 160F tstat in for a couple of weeks. My scanner
showed that
the hottest the ECT got was 172F after one of my runs yesterday. Driving
to the track, the ECT was at the 160F +/- 2 and scanner showed closed loop
operation.

I'll check with some folks upstairs, because even though I was told 97 ups
(which may strongly include the 96) were set to the same number for closed
loop operation, everyone I know has run under that number. What may be
happening is there is a window that the t-stat will open in, and the
position of
the water temp, not IAT, could be positioned far away enough to have a gross
temp difference of 10 or more degrees. The temp sensor may not be that
accurate. If a 150 was put in or a T-stat was ommitted, I believe the that
the window would travel below the number it is looking for to perform closed
loop. I am piecing together a 95-93 now, which I don't even have yet, but
the parts are stacking up. I have a Paxton which I am sending out for an
upgrade, so with this setup, I will run a 160 or 165.
The other thing is if it reaches closed loop driving, then travels below say
160 degrees actually, the
internal coil (PLC term for a set of conditions to activate a latch) has
already been fired. This would account for you seeing closed loop while
driving to the track.

.......Too early to tell about performance differences with the tstats yet.
With the 180 and '96 MP PCM, last year's best was 14.91. After two
15.8x runs with the custom computer and 160, I ran a 15.2x with
the '96 MP PCM with 2-3 shift problems (did not want to go into
third and rpm was running between 5900-6000 ... scanner did show
I was doing 99 mph at the time ... probably cost me about 2/10s).

Did you know? On the 99, I had to disconnect the battery to clear my tables
and drive for one week
like a leadfoot after adjusting the kickdown cable for it to run smooth and
shift better? I adjusted it at first without and the tranny freaked out on
me, waiting to shift, & wacked out shift points at part throttle. Clearing
the tables fixed it. I would strongly recommend Zimmer to cut a chip if you
have $500 to spend, he is the best I know of. It may be worth just talking
to him if you can't get a problem fixed.
I had all of Chysler baffled with one problem, all of them, and he was right
on the problem, which I told the daimlership with the DRB. They reluctantly
did what I said and the truck was running. Tread softly on that ground,
those boys have big egos after going to the school for 2 weeks, if you ever
have to get help from a dealership technician. Gotta get, got some plants to
plant with the wife and kids......
Kuk

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World